Natural vs Organic Foods

When reading labels there are some consumer marketing techniques that we are unaware of and shock us all. Anything that says “all natural” means it can contain: pesticides, herbicides, toxic heavy metals, toxic fluoride, hidden monosodium glutamate (MSG) and other non natural substances. 

Stating that a product is “all natural” is extremely misleading, so here are the facts. Even if you shop at Whole Foods, PCC, Trader Joe’s or your local grocery market with a natural section beware of these “natural” products. Natural is not organic and has no guideline to be coined the term “natural” except for that it once came out of the ground. Whatever happens between the growing process and to your table is not regulated by the USDA. 

Anything listed as “made with organic…” means that only 70% of the ingredients have to be organic and it cannot use the USDA organic label. 

Anything that has the green or black USDA organic label means that 95% of the ingredients are organic. Non-organic ingredients are allowed in the remaining 5% excluding salt and water. Anytime you see the green USDA organic stamp, you can be assured that the organic product was made without the use of pesticides, herbicides, GMOs, antibiotics or artificial growth hormones. 

If you read a label that says “100% organic” it means exactly that. USDA can certify that every last ingredient is organic.