It's fall. It's chilly. Warm up with some slow cooked beef stew. Prep everything the night before and it'll be ready for you come morning to take to work for lunch AND you'll have leftovers when you get home for dinner. WINNING!
- 2 1/2 lbs organic beef chuck (sometimes I buy the pre cut chunks if it's a good price)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 8 cherry tomatoes or one small red tomato, processed or pureed
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 (7-inch) single sprig rosemary (or 3/4 tsp dried)
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow potatoes, diced into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (don't use thin carrots)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch (depending on how thick you like it)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen petite peas
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
Heat 1 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working with half of the beef at a time, season with salt and pepper to taste and sear in skillet until browned, turning once halfway through, about 4 - 5 minutes total. Transfer beef to slow cooker. Add an additional 1 Tbsp butter to skillet, repeat with remaining beef. Leave excess oil in skillet.
Add remaining 1/2 Tbsp butter to butter in skillet (there should be about 1/2 tbsp left after searing beef), reduce burner to medium. Saute onions and celery 3 minutes, add garlic saute 30 seconds longer then add in tomatoes and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
Pour 1 cup chicken broth into skillet along with Worcestershire, soy sauce, thyme and rosemary. Add potatoes and carrots over beef layer in slow cooker, then pour broth mixture in skillet into slow cooker along with remaining 2 cups beef broth. Season lightly with salt and pepper (add more to taste at the end). Cover and cook on low heat for 7 - 8 hours.
In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch with 1 1/2 Tbsp cold water until smooth. Pour into slow cooker and gently stir, cover and cook on high heat for 20 - 30 minutes until thickened slightly. Stir in peas and half of the parsley. Serve warm garnished with remaining parsley.
Adapted from cookingclassy.com :)